The Duke Communicator’s group gathered on Friday, Jan. 24 for our first meeting of 2014 to hold a “Social Media Mash-up.” This was our second meeting held in this format – see this earlier post for information on the inaugural event. Our speakers were a number of colleagues who shared their own experiences and “lessons […]
I recently had the opportunity to speak to the Duke Communicators at one of their monthly meetings. That group is comprised of staff who are, in some capacity, responsible for getting news about Duke University and the Health System out to the masses. Their work spaces were wide-ranging: from Duke Libraries, where the event was held, […]
This week, Amanda Peralta and I led a training workshop for Duke faculty interested in using social media to build a public presence. The Office of News and Communications organized this session. We opened by introducing three Duke faculty members — Laurent Dubois, Robin Kirk and Peter Ubel — who are regular users of social […]
This article originally appeared in Duke Today. Story by David Jarmul. Move quickly. Be entertaining. Pay attention to what actually works online. Those were some of the suggestions Thursday morning from two Duke students whose videos have “gone viral” on YouTube. They shared their experiences with campus communicators who manage some of the university’s busiest […]
The folks over at Pew Research Centre recently compiled their annual research on the demographics behind social media users on different platforms. The infographic below (courtesy of Adweek) takes Pew’s data and displays it in a nice visual, including these key takeaways: Women are five times more than men to use Pinterest City dwellers are […]
For our most recent Duke Communicators event, I organized a fun tour of what’s happening across our community in social media. At our 2013 Social Media Roundup, my colleagues described how they are using social media to promote bloggers, share photos, reach new international audiences and much more. Each person spoke for five minutes, in […]
Last Friday, about 70 Duke faculty and staff attended a two-hour workshop on how best to use social media tools in the classroom and beyond. The workshop was hosted by Duke’s Office of News & Communications (ONC), which holds a number of training sessions during the year for the Duke community, including ones covering such […]
This is a guest blog post by Fenella Saunders, managing editor at American Scientist, who attended the Back to the Blog conference at Duke University on October 13, 2012. If you’ve opened this post, you’ve probably already seen the attractiveness of one major blog tip for newbies: Use a number in your title that will give […]
It’s never been a better time to be a blogger. Yes, Twitter and Facebook and Pinterest and Instagram and a slew of other social networks and apps are getting most of the attention in 2012, but 15 years into the world of blogging, there are exciting trends and threads that make being a blogger fun […]
Please also see this U.S. News & World Report article on how admissions offices are using social media tools to communicate with high schoolers. By David Jarmul Christoph Guttentag has an interesting perspective on how life has changed for college admissions officers. “Hitting the road for admissions again. Year 30,” he wrote recently. “Still recall […]
- Moving #DukeForward on Social Media April 8, 2014
- Video: 2014 Social Media Toolkits March 28, 2014
- Nerdy Holidays For Higher Education March 26, 2014
- The Evolution from Old-School to Digital Recruiter March 18, 2014
- Remembering a Duke fan on Twitter March 7, 2014
- 5 Blogging Tips For Newbies October 19, 2012
- A refresh for Duke’s social media website May 4, 2012
- Duke is Chatting in Chinese on Sina Weibo January 10, 2013
- [UPDATE] Facebook’s Cover Image Area May 3, 2013
- Infographic: The New Face of SEO November 28, 2012
- Ana: What a great idea! Thanks for putting together thi...
- paid search engine marketing: This is very interesting, You are a very skilled b...
- Walter Pinem: really nice, and I think it's really useful for n...
- Michael Palko: Wow!! Up 39! Great job!...
- Michael Palko: Congrats on the new position, Amanda! Looking f...
Follow @DukeU on Twitter