Last month, I traveled to Lenox, MA to co-present on social media in admissions with Ma’ayan Plaut at the Consortium on Financing Higher Education (COFHE) 2014 Retreat. As part of the presentation, we created a quick handout to provide a quick glimpse at social media strategy and definitions for some of the most commonly used social […]
People love seeing photos of themselves online. “Selfie” was word of the year for a reason, after all. But if there’s one thing the Internet has taught us, it’s that as much as people love seeing themselves, they love adorable pictures of animals even more. And if you turn that into their adorable animals, well, […]
Last week, StudentAdvisor.com announced the top 100 colleges and universities that are best leveraging social media. “These innovative schools use social media to give students insight into their culture, personality and DNA,” said Dean Tsouvalas Editor-in-Chief of StudentAdvisor, “This is so beneficial for students to determine the right fit beyond college rankings and marketing speak.” […]
Hundreds of people have been arrested at the North Carolina Legislative Building as part of the “Moral Mondays” protests against policies by the Republican-led legislature and Gov. Pat McCrory. Five of those people — Duke professors Willie Jennings, Robin Kirk, Bill Turner, Jed Purdy and Bill Chafe — participated in a live webcast interview about […]
Spring has most definitely sprung. Need proof? Look no further than the lush and iridescent photos captured during our latest photo walk. Prize Winners After seeing a number of excellent submissions in a tight competition, we are pleased to announce the following prize winners from last Friday’s photo walk: Grand Prize: “Asparagus at Duke Farmers Market” by Natalie […]
[UPDATE] This event was originally scheduled for April 5th, but has been rescheduled to Friday, April 19th due to weather. APRIL 19th, 2013: Be A Part of Duke’s Next TV Spot! We’re crowd-sourcing Duke’s next 30-second TV commercial and we need your help. On Friday, April 19 we’re inviting students, faculty, staff, alumni—you name it—to […]
Another photo walk has come and gone, but some stunning images are here to stay. The walk is a curious experiment — we bring a variety of people together, cluster them into small spaces with a mere handful of minutes at each location, and step back to see what happens — yet we are impressed with […]
Join us Friday, March 1, 2-4PM on a photo walk featuring Duke’s many labs and research sites, including the Canine Cognition Center, colorful greenhouses and the newly-opened Mary Trent Semans Center. Get a behind-the-scenes look at Duke’s cutting-edge technology and showcase your talent to the Duke community — all you need is a camera phone to participate! […]
The Duke community joined a Twitter chat during President Obama’s “State of the Union” address last night. Several faculty and students participated in the chat, tweeting their reactions to the president’s speech using the hashtag #DukeChat. The chats provide an opportunity to have a “public classroom” about issues in real time. We had a ton of […]
For our most recent Duke Communicators event, I organized a fun tour of what’s happening across our community in social media. At our 2013 Social Media Roundup, my colleagues described how they are using social media to promote bloggers, share photos, reach new international audiences and much more. Each person spoke for five minutes, in […]
- A Social Media Glossary July 25, 2014
- Q&A on Duke University’s Google + Presence July 11, 2014
- Duke Plays 2048 May 19, 2014
- I Can Haz Photo Contest? Boost Your Facebook Engagement with Crowd-Sourced Photos May 16, 2014
- The State of Social Media at Duke, Spring 2014 May 13, 2014
- 5 Blogging Tips For Newbies October 19, 2012
- A refresh for Duke’s social media website May 4, 2012
- Duke is Chatting in Chinese on Sina Weibo January 10, 2013
- [UPDATE] Facebook’s Cover Image Area May 3, 2013
- Capturing an Image of the Class of 2016 August 24, 2012
- Ana: What a great idea! Thanks for putting together thi...
- paid search engine marketing: This is very interesting, You are a very skilled b...
- Walter Pinem: really nice, and I think it's really useful for n...
- Michael Palko: Wow!! Up 39! Great job!...
- Michael Palko: Congrats on the new position, Amanda! Looking f...