This is a guest blog post by Audra Ang, senior development writer and social media coordinator for the Duke Forward campaign. It’s been a very interesting—and a very humbling—process trying to establish a social media presence from ground up for the Duke Forward campaign. Building a following across channels is only one key piece of […]
Twitter can seem overwhelming when you are strapped for time with other obligations. And the fact that the university’s @DukeU account tweets between 10-30 times in per day is probably pretty intimidating. But Twitter might still be worth pursuing. The truth is you won’t offend your audiences or lose your followers because you haven’t […]
The Duke Communicator’s group gathered on Friday, Jan. 24 for our first meeting of 2014 to hold a “Social Media Mash-up.” This was our second meeting held in this format – see this earlier post for information on the inaugural event. Our speakers were a number of colleagues who shared their own experiences and “lessons […]
This week, Amanda Peralta and I led a training workshop for Duke faculty interested in using social media to build a public presence. The Office of News and Communications organized this session. We opened by introducing three Duke faculty members — Laurent Dubois, Robin Kirk and Peter Ubel — who are regular users of social […]
In this video, Duke students Alex Semien and Rachael Nedrow give three tips on using Twitter hashtags.
Guest blog post by Alyssa Dack. A few weeks ago, Duke University participated in the iMarch for Innovation, a call from across the tech, government, and higher education sectors for the Senate to pass comprehensive immigration reform. The virtual march brought out supporters from North Carolina to Idaho to California and connected individuals from the […]
The folks over at Pew Research Centre recently compiled their annual research on the demographics behind social media users on different platforms. The infographic below (courtesy of Adweek) takes Pew’s data and displays it in a nice visual, including these key takeaways: Women are five times more than men to use Pinterest City dwellers are […]
The Duke community joined a Twitter chat during President Obama’s “State of the Union” address last night. Several faculty and students participated in the chat, tweeting their reactions to the president’s speech using the hashtag #DukeChat. The chats provide an opportunity to have a “public classroom” about issues in real time. We had a ton of […]
For our most recent Duke Communicators event, I organized a fun tour of what’s happening across our community in social media. At our 2013 Social Media Roundup, my colleagues described how they are using social media to promote bloggers, share photos, reach new international audiences and much more. Each person spoke for five minutes, in […]
It’s really hard to keep up with the different graphics and sizing for social media accounts and profiles. Here’s a great cheat sheet from the folks at LunaMetrics. Save this one to your hard drive and never Google “Facebook Cover Image Dimensions” again!
- Moving #DukeForward on Social Media April 8, 2014
- Video: 2014 Social Media Toolkits March 28, 2014
- Nerdy Holidays For Higher Education March 26, 2014
- The Evolution from Old-School to Digital Recruiter March 18, 2014
- Remembering a Duke fan on Twitter March 7, 2014
- 5 Blogging Tips For Newbies October 19, 2012
- A refresh for Duke’s social media website May 4, 2012
- Duke is Chatting in Chinese on Sina Weibo January 10, 2013
- [UPDATE] Facebook’s Cover Image Area May 3, 2013
- Infographic: The New Face of SEO November 28, 2012
- Ana: What a great idea! Thanks for putting together thi...
- paid search engine marketing: This is very interesting, You are a very skilled b...
- Walter Pinem: really nice, and I think it's really useful for n...
- Michael Palko: Wow!! Up 39! Great job!...
- Michael Palko: Congrats on the new position, Amanda! Looking f...
Follow @DukeU on Twitter